Develop your ability to turn complex concepts into engaging and interesting educational material and enhance your communication skills through hands-on learning by becoming an MCYU in the City facilitator.
This school year long volunteer opportunity allows for the development of excellent leadership, project management, communication and teaching skills.
MCYU in the City facilitators work in interdisciplinary teams of 4-6 students to develop an engaging, hands-on-workshop targeted to community youth aged 7-14 and their families. Facilitators have the opportunity to network, not only with faculty, but members of various community groups, schools and city officials.
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING. NOW WHAT?
1. Come to one of our Information Sessions where you can hear more about the experience from past facilitators
INFORMATION SESSION DATES (Mills Library L113 – the Connections Centre )
Sept. 6, 2018: 1:30pm & 5:30pm
Sept. 10, 2018: 1:30pm & 5:30pm
Sept. 12, 2018: 12:30pm & 6:30pm
Sept. 18, 2018: 6:30pm
2. All New Volunteer Facilitators have to complete our Mandatory Training Program(This is for McMaster University Students Only).
SAVE THE DATES:
Saturday, Sept, 22, 2018: 10am – 3:30pm
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018: 10am – 3:30pm
3. JOIN OUR MAILING LIST so that you receive important notices such as how to sign up for our MANDATORY TRAINING SESSIONS. Email our Program Coordinator, Rebecca Young at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be put on our mailing list so that you don’t miss out on important updates.
4. Follow Us On Social Media @McMasterCYU
5. GET YOUR CREATIVE JUICES FLOWING!
Start thinking about the fun, interesting and creative workshop you’d like to present to kids. For some inspiration, check out our workshop themes below.
- Communication in the 21st Century
- Technology, Design & Entrepreneurialship; The Future of Society
- Health & Wellness: Mind, Body & Behaviour
- The Art & Science of Commerce
- Youth leadership & Social Innovation
- Environmental Sustainability; Discovering a Brighter Future
Fall Term-Workshop Design
MCYU in the City facilitators receive comprehensive training and coaching during the fall semester. The training program includes sessions over two Saturdays in September that cover community engagement principles and inquiry based lesson plan development. Facilitators receive mentoring from MCYU staff and subject experts as they design their workshops. Workshop rehearsals are held during October and November where teams are provided with constructive feedback.
Winter Term-Workshop Delivery
MCYU in the City facilitators deliver workshops to youth and their families at public libraries, after school programs and public schools. Each team is expected to deliver a minimum of 7 workshops over the course of the year from January to May.